Food Distribution Thursdays
The Durham Children’s Initiative is looking for volunteers to help support our efforts on Food Distribution Thursdays. DCI connects our families to community resources in a COVID-mindful drive through distribution from 2:30 p.m.-5:30 p.m. each Thursday- rain or shine!
Some of the partners who distribute basic needs to our families include:
– Interfaith Food Shuttle provide food boxes weekly
– The North Carolina Diaper Bank distributes diapers and personal care products on the 2nd Thursday of each month
– Book Harvest distributes age-appropriate books on the 4th Thursday of each month
– Creekside Cares creates masks and COVID supply kits that are distributed as available
– Healthy Blue distributes information about Medicaid occasionally
– Durham County provides information about programs and school supplies occasionally
Volunteers would be asked to help with this intervention in a variety of ways:
– Set-up (starting at 2:30 p.m.)
– Checking families in (using mobile app- socially distanced) starting at 3 p.m.
– Loading supplies into vehicles starting at 3 p.m.
– Clean up (stay until 5:30p.m.)
Wear ask that all volunteer wear comfortable clothes and bring facemasks. Spanish speaking volunteers are especially needed.