Jobs & Internships
Job Title: Business Operations Manager
Revised Date: 5/10/2022
Coordinate various business-related functions such as general accounting, budget planning, financial reporting, IT support, and overall administrative support for the organization’s leadership.
Coordinate accounting functions, including accounts receivable, accounts payable, payroll, deposits and bank reconciliations, credit card account, billing, and collections related to DCI individual programs. Ensure departmental compliance with internal controls over transactions and financial reporting.
Work with contracted CPA firm to create monthly and year-end financial reports and yearly tax returns and interface with a contract audit firm to prepare yearly audited financial statements. Provide CEO and board with financial statements and support the annual audit completion.
Support daily operations activities and coordinate transactional HR related activities under the direction of the Chief Operations Officer
Provide Board Chair with administrative support for DCI Board of Directors meetings.
Support the overall administrative management of the DCI office, including but not limited to: facilities management, coordination of vendor contracts, serving as the primary contact for vendors and external partner organizations, field telephone calls and email inquiries from the general public, receiving and directing on-site visitors.
Other duties as assigned.
Required Qualifications at this Level
Education/Training: Work generally requires a broad knowledge of clerical and accounting principles and practices typically acquired through four years of post-secondary education in a business-related field or an equivalent combination of relevant education and/or experience to develop skills necessary to administer functions related to office management and budgetary/account activities.
Experience: Strong background in QuickBooks bookkeeping required.
Spanish language skills are a plus
OR AN EQUIVALENT COMBINATION OF RELEVANT EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
To apply, send cover letter and resume to Erika Arnold, COO, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
RFP: TRANSLATION AND INTERPRETATION SERVICES
Durham Children’s Initiative is requesting proposals for the provision of Interpretation and Translation services from English source language to target Spanish language for families in the DCI program. The proposal will include services for the calendar years 2022-2023.
The proposal shall bear the notation or subject line: “Proposal for Translation & Interpretation Services”.
Please Click Below for the full details of the RFP:
POSITION: FAMILY ADVOCATE
*Preference given to Bilingual applicants
Durham Children’s Initiative (DCI) is committed to improving outcomes for children, families and youth living in Durham. Our long-term vision is to have all youth affiliated with DCI successfully graduate from high school, ready for college or a career. We work to achieve this vision by providing a continuum of high-quality services for children and youth extending from birth through college and career. DCI collaborates with over 40 local organizations and community members who share our vision to provide these needed resources and supports to Durham children and families.
DCI is seeking to fill the position of Family Advocate. This full-time, benefits-eligible position will report to the Advocate Program Director. Our Family Advocates work with parents, students, community partners; and DCI staff and school personnel to ensure youth and families are engaged and have knowledge of strategies to ensure student success.
- Follow all Policies and Procedures (DPS and DCI)
- Maintain knowledge in all DCI programs, make referrals, and services to families.
- Assist families in utilizing community resources, including medical, dental, social, emotional educational, and occupational.
- Connect students with DCI pipeline services and external resources
- Recognize and identify each family’s needs and assist in goal setting
- Establish professional roles and boundaries in working with families
- Keep accurate and updated documentation on all families and children, including emergency information.
- Document all family contacts and home visits in COACH
- Build relationships with community organizations
- Assist families in scheduling of appointments
- Complete the Family Needs/Goals Assessment twice a year
- Conduct Parent Café Meetings with families monthly or as needed
- Conduct phone calls and home visits on a regularly scheduled basis based on the needs of the family and document
- Manage a caseload portfolio of at least 125 scholars
- Demonstrate respect of families with diverse values and cultures
- Other responsibilities as assigned by the Program Advocate Director
- Valid driver’s license
- Successfully pass background check
- Have respect and empathy of families with diverse values and cultures
- Have moderate to advanced knowledge of social media
- Bilingual (Spanish/English)—bicultural preferred
- Background in health care, social work, mental health, disability care, substance abuse recovery, geriatric care, and long-term care.
- Demonstrated experience within a customer service environment.
- Excellent, organization, detail and communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Outcome-focused with the ability to manage competing demands.
- Ability to work independently and in a fast paced environment
- Desire and ability to serve the community
- Flexible working hours- Nights and weekends as required and or needed to address the needs of families.
POSITION: PRESCHOOL TEACHER ASSISTANT (9-MONTH PART-TIME)
Durham Children’s Initiative (DCI) is committed to improving outcomes for children and families living in Durham County. Our long-term vision is to have all youth in DCI successfully graduate from high school, ready for college or a career. We work to achieve this vision by providing a continuum of high-quality services for children and families extending from birth through high school. DCI partners with over 20 local organizations and community members who share our vision to provide these needed resources and supports to Durham children and families.
DCI is seeking to fill the position of DCI LEAP Academy Preschool Teaching Assistant. This part-time position, (not eligible for benefits) will report to Preschool Manger.
The Preschool Teaching Assistant must promote the well-being of children and their families through an engaging preschool experience, create and continue a foundation of parent engagement in their child’s education and growth; and foster a love for learning in children from a young age.
The primary responsibility of the Preschool Teaching Assistant is to utilize evidence-based, developmentally appropriate practices to empower a classroom of English and Spanish-speaking children toward reaching their full potential.
The Preschool Teacher will carry out DCI and LEAP Program goals and objectives, adhere to DCI policies and procedures, and perform additional duties as defined by their supervisor and the DCI leadership team.
- Ensure that children are always supervised.
- Maintain a daily schedule.
- Be opened to learn and utilize current early childhood principles and methods when working with children individually and in small groups- following the teachers’ lead and staff development opportunities.
- Create and maintain a safe, orderly, and engaging classroom environment (including some daily housekeeping such as wiping tables, vacuuming, washing, and sanitizing snack dishes, etc.)
- Be physically able to fully participate in a preschool environment.
- Develop strong relationships with families to enhance learning both inside and outside of the classroom with the support of DCI Early Childhood Parent Advocates
- Work as a part of a team and with direction from the Preschool Lead Teachers
- Schedule and manage time effectively.
- Participate in regular professional development with the program’s Teacher Mentor.
- Attend weekly staff and planning meetings.
- Participate in community events, as necessary.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Experience teaching at the preschool level preferred
- Spanish/English bilingual fluency a plus
- Pass Criminal background check.
- Evidence of negative TB test
- Must abide by EDCI’s Child Safeguarding Policies
- Must be able to work some evening and weekends as needed.
Benefits and Salary: $14.53/hour. There are two positions available: approximately 21 hours per week and approximately 28 hours per week. This position is not eligible for benefits and is contracted for 9 months.
Anti-Discrimination Policy: Durham Children’s Initiative prohibits discrimination and harassment, and provides equal employment opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, sex, or age. DCI is committed to recruiting, hiring, and promoting qualified minorities, women, individuals with disabilities, and veterans.
Employee Acknowledgment: The job description is intended to provide an overview of the requirements of the position. As such, it is not necessarily all‐inclusive, and DCI may require other essential and/or non‐essential functions, duties or responsibilities not listed herein. Management, at its sole discretion, reserves the right to change, alter, and/or otherwise modify this job description at any time. Nothing in this job description is intended to create a contract of employment of any type or kind.
How to Apply: Applications will be reviewed immediately. Applicants should send cover letter, resume, and three references by email (email@example.com)
DCI does not and shall not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion (creed), gender, gender expression, age, national origin (ancestry), disability, marital status, sexual orientation, or military status, in any of its activities or operations. These activities include, but are not limited to, hiring and firing of staff, selection of volunteers and vendors, and provision of services. We are committed to providing an inclusive and welcoming environment for all members of our staff, clients, volunteers, subcontractors, vendors, and clients.