Together, we can make Durham a place where ALL children from birth through 8 can THRIVE.
Check Out Durham County’s Early Childhood Action Plan!
In 2019, the North Carolina Department of Health and Human Services released North Carolina’s Early Childhood Action Plan (ECAP). The plan sets forth a bold vision for North Carolina’s children, focused on making steady progress towards achieving ambitious goals relating to children’s health and development, safety and well-being, and learning.
Building off this statewide work, Durham is now the first county in the state to create an ECAP specific to our community. We are thrilled to share this report – “Grown in Durham: Durham’s Early Childhood Action Plan,” which serves as a blueprint for strengthening our early childhood systems in Durham.
An Early Childhood Action Plan (ECAP) Rooted in Equity
In Durham, not all children and families have the same opportunities to thrive. The health, safety, and education of a child should not differ depending on the child’s race, the family’s wealth, or any other reason. As we respond to COVID-19 together and address racial injustices in Durham, we have an opportunity to bring our community and resources together towards shared goals in support of all our young children.
All ECAP Documents for Downloading
- Durham ECAP Coloring Book for Families (Spanish version)
- ECAP 2-Pager (Spanish version)
- 1. Durham ECAP Summary (Spanish version)
- 2. Acknowledgements
- 3. Our Process
- 4. Indicators
- 5. Our Early Childhood System
- 5a. Our Family Support System Overview
- 5b. Our Maternal and Child Health System Overview
- 5c. Our Early Learning System Overview
- 6a. Systems Strengthening Recommendations (Spanish Version)
- 6b. Basic Needs Recommendations (Spanish Version)
- 6c. Safe and Nurtured Recommendations (Spanish Version)
- 6d. Healthy Recommendations (Spanish Version)
- 6e Learning and Ready Recommendations (Spanish Version)
- 7. Our Next Steps (Spanish version)
- 8. Glossary
- ECAP Steering Committee Charter (Spanish Version)
- Backbone Team Announcement (Spanish Version)
- Backbone Application (Spanish Version)
About the Planning Process
Four workgroups (Healthy, Basic Needs, Safe & Nurtured, and Learning & Ready to Succeed) met monthly from September 2020 through January 2021 to create recommendations to ensure all young children and their families in Durham thrive. Materials and recordings from those meetings are posted under each workgroup page.
Check-out the materials below from the ECAP Midpoint Check-in held on January 8, 2021:
From February 2021 – June 2021, 21 Action Planning Teams met to create action plans for each of the 21 Durham ECAP recommendations. Materials from the Action Planning Kickoff meeting:
Please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.